Pierce Junction Oil Field

One of Houston's Oldest and Most Profitable Oil Fields

 

 

Pierce Junction is an area within Houston, Texas, United States that was formerly a distinct unincorporated community in Harris County.The community gained its name in 1859 for serving as the junction of several railroad lines. By the late 1960s Houston had annexed all of Pierce Junction.

Pierce Junction Oil Field

Pierce Junction Oil Field

Pierce Junction Field Map

Pierce Junction Field Map

Pierce Junction Oil Field Today

Pierce Junction Oil Field Today

Pierce Junction circa 1934

Pierce Junction circa 1934

Oil Derrick Wood Tanks

Oil Derrick Wood Tanks

Pierce Junction

Pierce Junction

The Taylor-Stevenson Ranch, today held in large part by the descendants of Edward and Ann Taylor, and was a gathering place for prominent African-Americans. The Ranch area was the site of the Pierce Junction is one of the oldest and most prolific fields in the Houston. Pierce Junction had a post office from 1876 to 1878.This field has been producing oil & gas since 1921 and has produced over 104 million barrels of oil. 

 

Ed Taylor found gas in his water well, and drilling that followed resulted in the discovery of oil in 1906. A much more extensive strike was made in 1921, and the Pierce Junction oilfield yielded 88,740,836 barrels through 1984.

Plan A Visit
ACM gratefully acknowledges the support of our principal funders: